Heathers The Musical: High School Edition is the darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High: the Heathers. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously handsome new kid J.D. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks her out of the group, Veronica decides to bite the bullet and kiss Heather’s aerobicized butt... but J.D. has another plan for that bullet.
* Bring pencil
Veronica, JD (and Understudies)
Pg 91-93 (Sc2 Back at School) JD, Veronica
Add Kurt, Ram, Kurt's Dad, Ram's Dad, Heath...
JD, Veronica, (and Understudies)
Solos and Duets
The Me Inside of Me and Our Love Is God
Auditions for "Heathers The Musical - High School Edition" open for Ages 13-18!
Rehearsals and performances will be in-person at the Studio on
Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays 5-7pm.
Starting Sunday Jul 24th,
(20 sessions, plus tech week Sept 11-15)
Performances will be Sep 16-18, 23-24
with possible Encore performance Sep 25
Performances may be live/streamed. Additional information to follow.
Students are required to purchase and bring to tech week/shows his/her own approved microphone. Links to purchase will be emailed upon acceptance of role.:
Production Workshop Tuition is $495, plus a $50 costume fee, payable upon acceptance of a role - with option for payment in two installments.
(The Studio is offering a 5% workshop tuition discount to active private lesson students, siblings and to those who refer a new student provided the new
student accepts a role. *Discounts not to be combined.)
Please note not all performers will be required at all rehearsals. The sequential rehearsal schedule will be released shortly after casting.
1. VERONICA SAWYER - 17. She burns to be both cool and kind, but doesn’t know yet how to be both at the same time. Fierce sense of right and wrong, keen sense of ironic humor. Thinks she's an old soul, but she's still innocent enough to be blindsided by love/hormones (or shocked by cruelty). Voice: High belting required, up to Ab. Must have dynamic and stylistic range.
2. JD - 17. He is darkly charismatic, compelling, attractive, charming on the outside yet very damaged on the inside. Keen smarts and strong inventive comedy. Voice: Strong, confident belt to at least an Ab, A preferable; wide emotional range.
3. HEATHER CHANDLER - 17. Richest, hottest, most magnetic, cruelest girl in town. Relishes power and wields it like a scalpel – no fear, no patience, no mercy. Voice: Strong belt to F or higher preferred. Mezzo for chorus. NOTE: In certain choral songs Chandler can switch parts with her other Heathers as needed.
4. HEATHER MCNAMARA - 17. Beautiful, innocent, stupid, can be mean on command if Heather Chandler orders it, but actually quite vulnerable and fearful. Voice: Strong belt to Db, D preferred. Soprano for chorus. NOTE: in certain choral songs Heather Mac and Duke can switch vocal parts as needed.
5. HEATHER DUKE - 17. Whipping-girl of the 3 Heathers. When she finally becomes Queen Bee she wields power like a bulldozer. Alto for chorus. Voice: Strong belt to C, D preferred. Alto for chorus. NOTE: in certain choral songs Heather Duke and Mac can switch vocal parts as needed.
6. MARTHA DUNNSTOCK - 17. Nicknamed “Martha Dumptruck”, the opposite of hot, confident, or popular. Huge and beautiful soul, optimistic even in the face of rejection. Voice: Strong belt to E or F, wide vocal expression.
7. RAM SWEENEY - 17, Linebacker. Big, insensitive to the feelings of others, ruled by appetites. Voice: Strong Baritone, belt to G, some Falsetto useful.
8. KURT KELLY - 17. Quarterback and Captain. Big, chiseled, rude, entitled, cocky. Mean, thinks he’s the brains in the friendship with Ram. Voice: Tenor, strong belt to Ab or A, some Falsetto. NOTE: in certain songs Ram and Kurt can switch choral assignment if, say, Ram sings higher than Kurt.
9. RAM’S DAD - Former football player turned suburban Dad, has never outgrown his glory days in high school. Hates weakness, but capable of soul-searching when tragedy strikes.
10. BIG BUD DEAN - JD’s single Dad. Big jolly personality that barely conceals the enormous rage bubbling just below the surface. Quite possibly a serial bomber.
11. COACH RIPPER - Stalwart, man’s man; quick to defend his players.
12. MS. FLEMING - Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth. Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth.
13. VERONICA’S MOM - Easygoing, distant, yet capable of laying down the law. Voice: Great belt up to C, higher always welcome.
14. KURT’S DAD - Straight-laced, very conservative, also former football player. A simple guy, not book smart, you’d be happy to share a beer with him. 15. VERONICA’S DAD - Easygoing and distant.
16. PRINCIPAL GOWAN -Rumpled, burned out, hates conflict.
17. BELEAGUERED GEEK (BOY 1) - A put-upon, bitter geek. Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
18. PREPPY STUD (BOY 2) - A blowdried 80’s preppy. Voice: Bass (up to E) or Bari (up to G#).
19. HIPSTER DORK (BOY 3) - Thinks he’s Ducky from ‘Pretty In Pink.’ Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
20. NEW WAVE GIRL (GIRL 1) - A sullen New Wave girl. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
21. STONER CHICK (GIRL 2) - A fuzzyheaded stoner chick. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
22. YOUNG REPUBLICANETTE (GIRL 3) - A tennis-playing, uptight Student Council type. Voice: Belt to at least C# (Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
Please email us at casting@StageScreenStudios.com with any questions.
Female Option 1
You don’t get... to be a nobody. Come Monday, You’re an ex-somebody. Not even the losers are gonna touch you now. You can transfer to Washington and you can transfer to Jefferson, but no one at Westerberg is gonna let you play their reindeer games. I’m like oxygen: I’m everywhere. Really, Veronica? Sleeping with psycho trench coat kid? I will crucify you for this. Everyone in school is gonna know that “good little Veronica Sawyer” is nothing but a dirty whore. (VERONICA pukes on HEATHER CHANDLER’s shoes) AAAAAAAAAAHHH! I raised you up from nothing! And this is my thanks? I get paid in puke????? I know who I’m eating lunch with on Monday. Do you? (To all) Okay, party people! Where is the goddam keg?
Female Option 2
Our children are dying! I hate to pull out my counter culture bonafides, here. But what this school needs is a good old fashion rap session. Now I suggest that we gather everyone into the cafeteria and just talk and feel together! (Pause) Go ahead, laugh at the hippy, but I am telling you we all misjudged Heather Chandler. This is the lovelies suicide that I've ever read.
Male Option 1
What is that I smell in the air? Tolerance? Inclusion? Love? You know, how often can you say it’s a good day to live Westerberg, Ohio? You’re welcome, town. Your love keeps me humble. So who’s next, Heather Duke? She started that threeway rumor. I’ve taken the liberty of underlining meaningful passages in her copy of Moby Dick, if you know what I mean. (beat) Look, any war has casualties. It doesn’t mean it’s not worth fighting! But what? You’d rather go to jail and give a free pass to the thugs who hurt people, evil pricks who make this world so unbearable you can’t stand to go on living?